Sunday, April 10, 2011

What I Want

M asked me the other day what I wanted. He had come home late from work and found me in a foul mood, discontent and unsettled, tired of being a stay at home mum with no close friends, no family nearby and blah blah blah, probably the same complaints as many new mums, not to mention those living in a foreign country.

When he asked me I couldnt immediately reply. I didnt know. I hadnt really thought about it. I was playing the role of wife and mum. Going to playgroup, swimming lessons, mothers group, cooking routine meals, keeping the apartment tidy, but creatively I was all out of gas. No guitar, no writing music, no university work which I always regarded as a kind of creativity, crafting words to make meaning, succinct, sensical, scientific. Its the lack of creativity that was wearing me out.

So next day I decided; I want to write. Nothing too deep or profound, just my observations as a mum, as an Australian living in Brasil, as a music lover and amateur cook.

I want to write about the contradictions, superstitions and traditions of Brazilian culture. I want to share my journey learning portuguese and maybe one day even start posting bilingually (thats a ways off yet!).

So here I go, one post down, hopefully many more to come...


1 comment: